Human Resources

Mental Health First Aid Resources


If you or someone you care about feels overwhelmed with emotions like sadness, depression
or anxiety, or like you want to harm yourself or others call 911 or one of the national crisis
resources below.

National Crisis Resources

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
1–800–273–TALK (1-800-273-8255)
This is a crisis hotline that can help with many issues, not just suicide. For example, anyone who
feels sad, hopeless, or suicidal; family and friends who are concerned about a loved one; or
anyone interested in mental health treatment referrals can call the Lifeline. Callers are
connected with a professional nearby who will talk with them about what they are feeling or
concerns for other family and friends. Call the toll-free Lifeline, 24 hours/day, 7 days/week.

Crisis Text Line
Text “MHFA” to 741741
Available 24/7, 365 days a year, this organization helps people with mental health challenges by
connecting callers with trained crisis volunteers who will provide confidential advice, support,
and referrals if needed.

Lifeline Crisis Chat
Visit to chat online with crisis centers around the United States.

The Trevor Project
Call 866-488-7386 or Text “START” to 678678


Trained counselors available 24/7 to support youth who are in crisis, feeling suicidal, or in need
of a safe and judgment free place to talk. Specializing in supporting the LGBTQI+ community.
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration’s (SAMHSA) Disaster Distress
Helpline. Call 1-800-985-5990 or text TalkWithUs to 66746 to connect with a trained crisis counselor.
SAMHSA’s Disaster Distress Helpline provides 24/7, 365-day-a-year crisis counseling and support to people experiencing emotional distress related to natural or human-caused disasters.

Finding a Behavioral Health Provider

The National Council for Behavioral Health

Find a Provider

Search for organizations that are committed to providing mental health services to anyone in the community who needs it regardless of their ability to pay.

Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
SAMHSA provides information on mental health services and treatment centers through an online service locator. You can search by your location, whether or not they provide services for youth, payment options (private insurance, cash, or something else), languages spoken, etc.

Additional Resources for Mental Health First Aiders

Mental Health First Aid USA

Mental Health Resources

The Mental Health First Aid website has additional resources related to the most common mental disorders.

Child Welfare Information Gateway’s Mandatory Reporters of Child Abuse and Neglect: Summary of State Laws
This summary will also tell you whether you are required to report by law and specific statute information for a particular state.